OO.. ..OO..  The Humane Society Of Elmore County   255 Central Plank Road (Hwy 9)  Wetumpka, Alabama 36092

              E-mail: hselco@bellsouth.net      PHONE: (334) 567-3377      FAX: (334) 567-8774


The Humane Society of Elmore County is a sheltering agency for animals brought to us by citizens and authorized Animal Control Officers (ACO) from within Elmore County. We do not have the authority to pick up animals, but have contractual agreements with the county and municipalities so that they can bring their animals to us for their care and disposition. In instances of cruelty or neglect we will assist with any necessary investigation or documentation as to the condition of the animal and will hold that animal pending any court disposition.

In general stray animals are held at our facility for a minimum of seven days in hopes their owner will come to reclaim them.


Section 3-7A-7 of the Alabama Code states:

“When dogs and cats are impounded and if the owner thereof is known, such owner shall be given direct notice of the impoundment of said animal or animals belonging to him; or the impounding officer may make said animal or animals available for adoption after a period of not less than seven days.”


This basically means that after the state seven day minimal hold period that pet becomes the property of the sheltering agency for appropriate disposition, so please, please, please, keep a collar and rabies tag as also required by Alabama law on your pet at all times since we cannot call you if we don’t know who your pet belongs to.  And if your pet does become lost – don’t delay in calling/visiting your local shelter and others in your area to look for your pet.  Very often owners can be reunited the same day their pet becomes lost if they just get in contact with their shelter.


Please also note that pets that are surrendered (signed over) by their owners are not required to be held for any length of time and may either be immediately placed for adoption, held and evaluated for adoption, transferred to another adoption agency or euthanized.

If you are in need of animal control assistance for a stray or problem animal, or to report instances of animal neglect or cruelty, please call the appropriate animal control officer below. If you live within the city limits of any of the towns noted below you must call your city contact. If you are not in the city limits of any of the towns listed below or your town is not listed, then call the Elmore County ACO.

All area code 334

Elmore County Sheriff’s Department
567-1426 or 567-5227
Deputy Barris

567-1327 or 567-5321
Terrence Sutton or Terry Hand

Officer Shauntrell Jackson

Tony Mann

Elmore Township 514-5988

Eclectic Police 541-2149

Coosada Town Hall 285-3700

If you have found or see a dead animal on a roadway, honestly that animal is no longer an Animal Control issue.  To see if that animal can be removed from the roadway, please call the appropriate office below depending on the location of the carcass.

Elmore County   Road Department                                               334/567-1162

Wetumpka        Public Works, ask for the street department         334/567-1328

Millbrook           Street/Maintenance Department                          334/285-3653

Tallassee          City Hall                                                            334/283-4298

Coosada           Town Hall                                                          334/285-3700

Deatsville          Town Hall                                                          334/285-9881

Eclectic            Town Hall                                                          334/541-2148

Elmore              Town Hall                                                          334/514-5988

Prattville            Street Department                                              334/361-3622



If you live in the county (as opposed to inside a city limits) and want to contact your County Commissioner but aren’t sure who that is, this map should help. Click here to view map
Below are the phone contacts for our commissioners:

Elmore County Commission Office

100 E. Commerce Street, Ste. 207

Wetumpka, AL 36092


334-514-5842 (Fax)



Commissioner Mark Hragyil
District 1
(334) 514-5841 Office
(334) 399-4690 Cell

Commissioner James (Trey) Taylor
District 2
(334) 514-5841 Office
(334) 399-0646 Cell

Chairman David Bowen
District 3
(334) 514-5841 Office
(334) 850-2762 Cell

Commissioner Joe Faulk 
District 4
(334) 514-5841 Office
(334) 399-5180 Cell

Vice-Chairman Stephanie Daniels Smoke
District 5
(334) 514-5841 Office
(334) 322-6223 Cell

Commission Meeting Dates FY 2015- Click Here

If you find injured wildlife please call the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

Department of Conservation and Natural Resources

Emergency: 800-272-4263

Wildlife – 334-242-3469

Information & Education:  334-242-3151

District Office (Prattville):  334-358-0035




E-mail: hselco@bellsouth.net      PHONE: (334) 567-3377      FAX: (334) 567-8774

The Humane Society Of Elmore County   255 Central Plank Road (Hwy 9)  Wetumpka, Alabama 36092